Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A heroic return for Sasikumar

KOCHI:
Sasikumar, the man who revolutionised the Malayalam television industry
with the launch of Asianet, has turned actor with the Jayaraj-directed
film, `Loudspeaker.´ The movie, starring Mammootty in the key role, has
Sasikumar playing the role of Menon, a rich man befriended by
Mammootty´s character `Mike.´ The film revolves around the bond that
develops between the two and its aftermath."It was Mammootty who
first told me about the role and asked me to do it. I thought he was
kidding but he insisted. I read the script and liked it enough to give
it a try. I play a person who returns to his Valluvanadan village after
decades," says Sasikumar, the founder chairman of the Asianet group and
currently the director of the Asian school of Journalism.Though
he has appeared in front of the camera umpteen times for shows and
interviews, acting in a mainstream film proved to be quite a thing
apart."I just hope it will turn out well. Acting was not difficult, mainly because Mammootty and Jayaraj made me really comfortable. I saw the rushes of some scenes and they looked good," says Sasikumar.He has set aside one month for the shooting which is fast progressing in Thrissur.According to Jayaraj the role required an `executive look-alike´ and Sasikumar fitted the profile perfectly.Interesti ngly,
Sasikumar had a stint in acting when he was cast in the lead role in
the film "Iniyum Marichittillatha Nammal,´ directed by Chintha Ravi
(Ravindran)."Ravi is a good friend of mine and he wanted me to
don the hero´s role. It was an off-beat film. I did it as a token of
our friendship, more to be in the company of all my friends." Though
there were offers from Shyamaprasad and Sreenivasan earlier, Sasikumar
said `no´ to all of them. "I do not want to be active in films. There
are many things left to be done in my job," says Sasikumar.


Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com

No comments: